Reddick Law PLLC Trial Attorneys

Call For A Free Consultation

Over $1 Billion Recovered In Mass Torts, Class Actions, Nursing Home & Personal Injury Claims

When should I report a nursing home to the New Mexico Department of Health?

by | Jan 5, 2022 | Nursing Home Abuse And Neglect

As people get older, sometimes it becomes difficult to live alone. You may notice this with loved ones who begin to become forgetful or who have physical ailments that make it hard for them to care for themselves or live by themselves safely.

When you need to find a solution, a nursing home is a common option. Putting your loved one in such a facility can be difficult, especially if you worry about abuse or neglect. If you find yourself in a situation where you feel your loved one is not receiving the proper treatment, you can report the issue to officials. The New Mexico Department of Health explains you have two different options for reporting any concerns about a long-term care facility.


The quickest and easiest way to report abuse or neglect is by calling the Health Facilities Complaints Hotline at 1-800-752-8649. You can also send in a complaint by mail or fax. You will need to complete the Health Facility Consumer Complaint Form to do that. Keep in mind, though, this may delay a response.

It is important to ensure you provide as many details as possible to aid with the investigation and ensure the health department is aware of the specific concerns you have.


Once you put in a complaint, the Department of Health will begin an investigation into your claims. The process usually moves swiftly as reports must have an investigation within five days.

If you suspect that your loved one is suffering from abuse or neglect, you may want to contact an attorney who can assist you with navigating the process of reporting the issue to the Department of Health.